Skip to main content

Visual design part 2 LTEC 5220

This week's assignment was to make a visual learning document with images only. I do love to work with the Adobe Creative Suite, and I haven't used those skills in a few years. It was fun to use them again. This assignment was made much easier because I simplified the instructions. I used a bread machine instead of telling the learner how to kneed the bread, and how fast they should mix the dough.  Hopefully I get a passing grade on this unlike last week’s assignment.
 Creating a design exclusively with images, and no words or numbers, was difficult. Even the examples we were given, had some numbers in them. It was fun coming up with symbols to represent stuff.  Instead of writing “3 cups of flour”, I drew a flour bag and had an arrow pointing from it to three measuring cups.  That being said, I don’t know if people will get confused with what the symbols mean.

While visual only instructions will probably not be used very often in the “real world” it does have its purposes.  People with limited English (or other languages) skills could benefit from more pictures. Moreover, literacy around the world is not universal. Moreover, doing this exercise forced me to be creative. Pictures often are a better solution compared to symbols and words.

I went through several revisions before I as happy with the design.  While I wanted to do something that would fit on a letter sheet of paper (8.5 X 11) I soon realized that that looked way too busy.  Splitting the diagram into multiple pages was the right visual choice. Next time, it would probably be smarter to storyboard everything on paper before even starting with the computer. A lot of time was wasted a lot of time redesigning the diagram.

Illustrator proved to be a very effective tool for this assignment. It has far more tools for manipulating shapes, including the pathfinder tool. Because all the shapes in illustrator are vectors, it is very easy to scale items.  I also found using illustrator, that it is easier to design each symbol separately. Making each symbol at a very large size. For example, making a large measuring cup rather than making the size I wanted it in the end.  Because illustrator is vector, it is very easy to copy and paste each symbol into a master document.

That being said, people who are getting into graphic design for the first time might feel more comfortable with Photoshop. I still use photoshop for photos. I am also a fan of GIMP and Paint.net. These free software packages are pretty much the only thing the average person needs.

Well, I am looking forward to the next assignment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTEC 5510 Week 6

Week 6 Blog In your Blog reflect on the following items: You have begun putting together your full course. What has gone well? What has challenged you? What feedback have you received? What feedback have you given? What have you learned from the process of developing instruction in an LMS? Creating an online course has a bit of a learning curve.  Converting old lesson plans from my teaching days to online learning has been challenging.  My PowerPoint presentations turned screencasts are good examples of these differences. In a face to face classroom, it is good to have lots of questions while lecturing. This keeps the audience participating and interested. With video, that option is not available.  I also miss the verbal and non-verbal feedback I got from the classroom. Those cues helped me know what parts of the presentation to skip, and which parts to go in more detail.  Perhaps, using synchronous sessions could bring back that element of teaching. Writing ...

LTEC 5510 Week 13

Week 13 Blog: My course is pretty much complete. Additional feedback from peer reviews will be necessary, but I don’t plan on making any drastic changes.   I have a rough draft of my job aide done, and it should be finished after I get my feedback from my partner. I assumed that the Job Aide was going to be one of the more difficult parts of this course. I don’t like writing long papers. But when I started discussing how the class worked, I found it very easy to write. The only thing I have left to do is the presentation. While part of me thinks it won’t be that difficult, I know better than to believe that. I entered this course believing that my material as a biology teacher would have made the creation of the course simple. I predicted wrong. While it was nice to have old worksheets, PowerPoints, quizzes, and links to YouTube videos in my career, that in many ways slowed me down.   Having old material made me a little complacent.   As someone teaching the sa...

LTEC 5510 Week 1

Choose one of the ID articles posted by a peer and read it. Write a blog reflection about what you learned from your three readings and note items, theories, and elements that you would like to know more about and whether it impacts your design or tells you more about how you learn.  Week 1 Savery and Duffy’s article provides a basic overview of the constructivist learning theory and then discusses how it relates to instructional design (1995).  Constructivism has three major aspects: Understanding comes from a person’s interaction with their environment.  Learning occurs when one’s prior understanding conflicts with a new “stimulus.”  Knowledge evolves through social interactions when different viewpoints challenge the ones we already have (Savery & Duffy, 1995). The approach Savery and Duffy suggest, that works well with the constructivist is called problem-based learning (1995).  Learners should be given ownership of the overall problem/task an...