Skip to main content

Almost the end, thoughts about instructional design LTEC 5210

Coming into this semester you had thoughts about what instructional design was.  Through this semester you have learned a lot and participated in a lot of different activities.  What has been your largest take away this semester?  What topics do you wish had been covered that weren't?  

I know a lot of this entry is repeats some of my thoughts of some of the earlier entries.  Coming into this class, my vague conception of instructional design was that it was a carrier where people work as trainers for corporations. I knew that photoshop/illustrator was a major part of it, and so was programming. And yes, those were true statements. This class taught me the depth of the profession and how systematic the profession really is.

I really enjoyed the Romiszowski paper where it discussed how education is about trying to give people a broad view of learning.  However, training requires people to be very focused. As a teacher, I do feel like I can go down many “rabbit holes”.  When applying for a digital learning specialist position, I now appreciate the quote more.

I also like how the course teaches us to think about the mode of instruction first. As a teacher, I sometimes try to fit a lecture into a topic that could best be taught in a different way. Often the best way to accomplish something is to create a website or a how-to-guide.

The analysis section of the course was very useful. I particularly found how the book encouraged probing questions when trying to determine need. Rather than asking a group “what are your training needs you can ask a question “on the lines of “What organizational . . . business problems are critical to you and your staff and the moment’” (Piskuich, 18) .  I had a training at work where the people sent surveys to determine what we wanted. The training was great, but it wasn’t actually what we needed.

If I were to add something to this course, I would have added a “how to find a client” paper. It was hard to explain to people what I needed. Also, I have been looking through the readings, but I can’t find it. I remember something about how instructional design started with the military. We wanted to train pilots as fast as possible during WWII. Therefore, we wanted to determine what was useful, and what was a waste of time to teach pilots. I whole paper on just that process would have been something I really would have enjoyed.  I did find the paranormal videos a bit of a waste of time. Some of the articles were a bit old.  However, it was a good course overall.

Piskurich, George M.. Rapid Instructional Design: Learning ID Fast and Right (p. 19). Wiley. Kindle Edition.
Romiszowski, Alexander. (1981). Designing Instructional Systems. New York: Nichols. Chapters 1, 2 and 9.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTEC 5510 Week 6

Week 6 Blog In your Blog reflect on the following items: You have begun putting together your full course. What has gone well? What has challenged you? What feedback have you received? What feedback have you given? What have you learned from the process of developing instruction in an LMS? Creating an online course has a bit of a learning curve.  Converting old lesson plans from my teaching days to online learning has been challenging.  My PowerPoint presentations turned screencasts are good examples of these differences. In a face to face classroom, it is good to have lots of questions while lecturing. This keeps the audience participating and interested. With video, that option is not available.  I also miss the verbal and non-verbal feedback I got from the classroom. Those cues helped me know what parts of the presentation to skip, and which parts to go in more detail.  Perhaps, using synchronous sessions could bring back that element of teaching. Writing ...

LTEC 5510 Week 13

Week 13 Blog: My course is pretty much complete. Additional feedback from peer reviews will be necessary, but I don’t plan on making any drastic changes.   I have a rough draft of my job aide done, and it should be finished after I get my feedback from my partner. I assumed that the Job Aide was going to be one of the more difficult parts of this course. I don’t like writing long papers. But when I started discussing how the class worked, I found it very easy to write. The only thing I have left to do is the presentation. While part of me thinks it won’t be that difficult, I know better than to believe that. I entered this course believing that my material as a biology teacher would have made the creation of the course simple. I predicted wrong. While it was nice to have old worksheets, PowerPoints, quizzes, and links to YouTube videos in my career, that in many ways slowed me down.   Having old material made me a little complacent.   As someone teaching the sa...

LTEC 5510 Week 1

Choose one of the ID articles posted by a peer and read it. Write a blog reflection about what you learned from your three readings and note items, theories, and elements that you would like to know more about and whether it impacts your design or tells you more about how you learn.  Week 1 Savery and Duffy’s article provides a basic overview of the constructivist learning theory and then discusses how it relates to instructional design (1995).  Constructivism has three major aspects: Understanding comes from a person’s interaction with their environment.  Learning occurs when one’s prior understanding conflicts with a new “stimulus.”  Knowledge evolves through social interactions when different viewpoints challenge the ones we already have (Savery & Duffy, 1995). The approach Savery and Duffy suggest, that works well with the constructivist is called problem-based learning (1995).  Learners should be given ownership of the overall problem/task an...