Skip to main content

LTEC 5240 Assignment 2: Personal Preferences in Gaming

Consider the materials covered. Were there any games of gaming innovations that stood out to you? Why? Share a bit about your favorite games both traditional and digital) and provide some insight into why they appeal to you? Would you consider any of these to be educational? Your response should be at least 300 words. Delve deep and reference examples and resources where possible.

Watching through the videos chronicling some of the most popular video games got me thinking about an article I read in LTEC 5210 on Yokoi’s Theory of Lateral Innovation. While cutting edge technologies can catalyze the creation of new games, it is often games that use or perfect existing technologies that become the most memorable games. World of Warcraft’s game engine was outdated when it came out, and yet it is the most popular MMORPG of all time. StarCraft was not the first RTS out there, but it certainly one of the most popular. Yokoi’s theory states that designers should spend more time focusing on “the novelty of the play and the interactions between player and system” rather than just using the most advanced technology out there (Warren & Jones).  Being on the bleeding edge can “interfere with designing innovative products because of excess focus on the technology rather than on the innovate use of it” (Warren & Jones). As such, good games tend to be highly polished and new technologies complement but aren’t the focus of the experience.

The Mass Effect series is an example of innovation at work.  The games certainly aren’t the first RPG out there nor is it first shooter out there. The interactive storybook aspect of games has always been there, but the amount of choice you are allowed to have is incredible.  Add that to an incredibly compelling story, an immersive environment and at least for ME2 and ME3 fun shooting mechanics, and you have one of the best games of all time.  It would be a bit of a stretch to call it “educational.” You can always learn something from good storytelling.

Pokémon would be another example of a laterally innovative game.  It isn’t the first RPG out there.  But appealing to peoples need to collect (gotta catch them all) makes it one of the most popular game franchises out there. It would also be a stretch to call Pokémon educational.  I guess you could say there is some strategy, and you could learn a little about animals when you read the Pokedex but it has no learning objectives.

As an educator, I have overused Kahoot and Quizlet for my examples of well-made educational games.  They are a very innovative use of smartphones and network technology.  However, one of the best “games” I have seen in a classroom doesn’t use computers at all.  One of my teacher friends created a horse race game just using paper horses cut out of construction paper. Students got to advance their horses when they got quiz questions correct, and their horses fell back when they missed them.  It would seem that my friend was using Yokoi’s theory without even knowing about it.

Warren, S. J., & Jones, G. (n.d.). Yokoi’s Theory of Lateral Innovation: Applications for learning game design. i-manager's Journal of Educational Technology.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTEC 5510 Week 6

Week 6 Blog In your Blog reflect on the following items: You have begun putting together your full course. What has gone well? What has challenged you? What feedback have you received? What feedback have you given? What have you learned from the process of developing instruction in an LMS? Creating an online course has a bit of a learning curve.  Converting old lesson plans from my teaching days to online learning has been challenging.  My PowerPoint presentations turned screencasts are good examples of these differences. In a face to face classroom, it is good to have lots of questions while lecturing. This keeps the audience participating and interested. With video, that option is not available.  I also miss the verbal and non-verbal feedback I got from the classroom. Those cues helped me know what parts of the presentation to skip, and which parts to go in more detail.  Perhaps, using synchronous sessions could bring back that element of teaching. Writing ...

LTEC 5510 Week 13

Week 13 Blog: My course is pretty much complete. Additional feedback from peer reviews will be necessary, but I don’t plan on making any drastic changes.   I have a rough draft of my job aide done, and it should be finished after I get my feedback from my partner. I assumed that the Job Aide was going to be one of the more difficult parts of this course. I don’t like writing long papers. But when I started discussing how the class worked, I found it very easy to write. The only thing I have left to do is the presentation. While part of me thinks it won’t be that difficult, I know better than to believe that. I entered this course believing that my material as a biology teacher would have made the creation of the course simple. I predicted wrong. While it was nice to have old worksheets, PowerPoints, quizzes, and links to YouTube videos in my career, that in many ways slowed me down.   Having old material made me a little complacent.   As someone teaching the sa...

LTEC 5510 Week 1

Choose one of the ID articles posted by a peer and read it. Write a blog reflection about what you learned from your three readings and note items, theories, and elements that you would like to know more about and whether it impacts your design or tells you more about how you learn.  Week 1 Savery and Duffy’s article provides a basic overview of the constructivist learning theory and then discusses how it relates to instructional design (1995).  Constructivism has three major aspects: Understanding comes from a person’s interaction with their environment.  Learning occurs when one’s prior understanding conflicts with a new “stimulus.”  Knowledge evolves through social interactions when different viewpoints challenge the ones we already have (Savery & Duffy, 1995). The approach Savery and Duffy suggest, that works well with the constructivist is called problem-based learning (1995).  Learners should be given ownership of the overall problem/task an...