Skip to main content

Multimedia site LTEC 5220

Creating websites was one of the more difficult assignments of the year. I believe we have a whole class for this one topic so I guess that while the quality of this one particular assignment wasn’t that great, we should get more of it in the future.
It is amazing how much the web design process has changed. I have Dreamweaver since the macromedia days my sophomore year of high school. It is amazing how much has changed since.  CSS is completely new.   Obviously designing with tablets and smartphones in mind are also a big change.  I am looking forward to learning more about that in the future.
I did even go through a geocities phase back in my younger days in the 90s.  I remember cluttering it with as much music as possible with floating text and animated gifs everywhere. I miss those days.
Obviously, websites are probably the most powerful form of instruction because that is the basic way people get information now. A professional looking website is the “front door” of your company. And the process is only going to change more and more.
I do feel that for this class, wix would have made a lot more sense for this assignment. I thought experience with the program years ago would have made it work for me. I was wrong.  It is good to know that there are programs out there that make it easy for novices. 
I also had difficulty designing what type of multimedia was necessary.  I figured videos would be best for the last three steps, while images and text would be good for the beginning. I am not sure if music and sound outside of videos was appropriate. Obviously for different topics like playing music, sound might make more sense.  Less is more, and making this too complicated was something very easy to do.
In the long run, all of what I learned came into fruition for this project. I needed to use the elements of visual design. I had to storyboard. Appropriate use of video and multimedia also was useful.  It was nice to have most of the elements already created in the previous units. I was just plugging in what I already had.

In the future, I need to take more webmastering classes. I might take one over the next year in community college just to get a leg up on people.  Collin College has very good continuing education classes. I might take a dreamweaver one in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTEC 5510 Week 6

Week 6 Blog In your Blog reflect on the following items: You have begun putting together your full course. What has gone well? What has challenged you? What feedback have you received? What feedback have you given? What have you learned from the process of developing instruction in an LMS? Creating an online course has a bit of a learning curve.  Converting old lesson plans from my teaching days to online learning has been challenging.  My PowerPoint presentations turned screencasts are good examples of these differences. In a face to face classroom, it is good to have lots of questions while lecturing. This keeps the audience participating and interested. With video, that option is not available.  I also miss the verbal and non-verbal feedback I got from the classroom. Those cues helped me know what parts of the presentation to skip, and which parts to go in more detail.  Perhaps, using synchronous sessions could bring back that element of teaching. Writing ...

LTEC 5510 Week 13

Week 13 Blog: My course is pretty much complete. Additional feedback from peer reviews will be necessary, but I don’t plan on making any drastic changes.   I have a rough draft of my job aide done, and it should be finished after I get my feedback from my partner. I assumed that the Job Aide was going to be one of the more difficult parts of this course. I don’t like writing long papers. But when I started discussing how the class worked, I found it very easy to write. The only thing I have left to do is the presentation. While part of me thinks it won’t be that difficult, I know better than to believe that. I entered this course believing that my material as a biology teacher would have made the creation of the course simple. I predicted wrong. While it was nice to have old worksheets, PowerPoints, quizzes, and links to YouTube videos in my career, that in many ways slowed me down.   Having old material made me a little complacent.   As someone teaching the sa...

LTEC 5510 Week 1

Choose one of the ID articles posted by a peer and read it. Write a blog reflection about what you learned from your three readings and note items, theories, and elements that you would like to know more about and whether it impacts your design or tells you more about how you learn.  Week 1 Savery and Duffy’s article provides a basic overview of the constructivist learning theory and then discusses how it relates to instructional design (1995).  Constructivism has three major aspects: Understanding comes from a person’s interaction with their environment.  Learning occurs when one’s prior understanding conflicts with a new “stimulus.”  Knowledge evolves through social interactions when different viewpoints challenge the ones we already have (Savery & Duffy, 1995). The approach Savery and Duffy suggest, that works well with the constructivist is called problem-based learning (1995).  Learners should be given ownership of the overall problem/task an...