Skip to main content

Management. Regulation and Communication LTEC 5210

What does it mean to manage/regulate yourself (self-regulate) and others? How does it bring you towards goals? How important is communication in this process and what helps/impedes it?

I first must answer this question like a science teacher.  Of all the traits that humans have, the ability to plan and organize is probably the thing that distinguishes us the most amongst the animal kingdom.  We aren’t the fastest or the strongest animals. But our ability to plan and to work in groups is far ahead, even of our closest evolutionary relatives.  As such, managing and regulating ourselves and others and communicating with each other is a fundamental part of what makes us human.

Self-regulation and the regulation of others remains a crucial part of the 21st-century human. With the advent of mass media, the personal computer, smartphone and the internet, the ability to set goals and to prioritize is paramount. To write this blog entry, I had to set aside time in my day to work on graduate school. It took me a lot of effort to resist checking my email and Facebook account just one more time. I was required to organize my thoughts about what I know about this topic.  Without this ability, I would be incapable of reaching my goal of getting a masters degree in Learning Technologies.

As for the management and regulation of others, the ability to set goals and prioritize increased many folds.  As a teacher, my job is to teach students management and self-regulation skills. I am not only required to cover the curriculum, but I must instruct students in behavior management too. A good teacher not only knows their material but has predictable and straightforward routines in place for students to follow.  Moreover, as with most jobs, the ability to “read people” and to adjust your behavior accordingly is important.  I am constantly trying to figure out if a student actually needs to go to the “nurse” or the “restroom.”  I find it difficult to determine how much to push my kids, and when to let loose.

Communication remains the most essential part of the management of others.  It has been said “you have two ears and one mouth. Use them in that proportion”.  Listening is the most important part of communication. I often find it frustrating when I say something to my class like, “do not write on the test,” only to have a student’s one second later ask “can we write on the test?”  I certainly cannot complain, because I too have done the same thing. 

When trying to communicate instructions, it is essential to be clear and concise. Being too complicated leads to confusion.  However, when trying to teach something, sometimes the opposite is true. Telling stories and elaborating on a topic helps people remember stuff.  Obviously, learning when to be simple and when to be complicated is a skill.  Ultimately, effective communication along with management and regulation requires practice. And the sum of these experiences ultimately makes us who we are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LTEC 5510 Week 6

Week 6 Blog In your Blog reflect on the following items: You have begun putting together your full course. What has gone well? What has challenged you? What feedback have you received? What feedback have you given? What have you learned from the process of developing instruction in an LMS? Creating an online course has a bit of a learning curve.  Converting old lesson plans from my teaching days to online learning has been challenging.  My PowerPoint presentations turned screencasts are good examples of these differences. In a face to face classroom, it is good to have lots of questions while lecturing. This keeps the audience participating and interested. With video, that option is not available.  I also miss the verbal and non-verbal feedback I got from the classroom. Those cues helped me know what parts of the presentation to skip, and which parts to go in more detail.  Perhaps, using synchronous sessions could bring back that element of teaching. Writing ...

LTEC 5510 Week 13

Week 13 Blog: My course is pretty much complete. Additional feedback from peer reviews will be necessary, but I don’t plan on making any drastic changes.   I have a rough draft of my job aide done, and it should be finished after I get my feedback from my partner. I assumed that the Job Aide was going to be one of the more difficult parts of this course. I don’t like writing long papers. But when I started discussing how the class worked, I found it very easy to write. The only thing I have left to do is the presentation. While part of me thinks it won’t be that difficult, I know better than to believe that. I entered this course believing that my material as a biology teacher would have made the creation of the course simple. I predicted wrong. While it was nice to have old worksheets, PowerPoints, quizzes, and links to YouTube videos in my career, that in many ways slowed me down.   Having old material made me a little complacent.   As someone teaching the sa...

LTEC 5510 Week 1

Choose one of the ID articles posted by a peer and read it. Write a blog reflection about what you learned from your three readings and note items, theories, and elements that you would like to know more about and whether it impacts your design or tells you more about how you learn.  Week 1 Savery and Duffy’s article provides a basic overview of the constructivist learning theory and then discusses how it relates to instructional design (1995).  Constructivism has three major aspects: Understanding comes from a person’s interaction with their environment.  Learning occurs when one’s prior understanding conflicts with a new “stimulus.”  Knowledge evolves through social interactions when different viewpoints challenge the ones we already have (Savery & Duffy, 1995). The approach Savery and Duffy suggest, that works well with the constructivist is called problem-based learning (1995).  Learners should be given ownership of the overall problem/task an...